- Two Excel spreadsheets (ImportExport.xlsm and Schedule Generator.xlsm) that work together to compile a GTFS data file.
- Two Excel spreadsheets (ImportExport – Sample Data.xlsm and Schedule Generator – Sample Data.xlsm) that provide examples of correctly input GTFS data.
- Free "hosting" of your complete GTFS files from a stable URL that Google Transit, and other apps, can download from.
- Free technical assistance (by phone and email) and program maintenance.
Before downloading and using GTFS Builder, please consider the resources you will need, as well Google’s legal requirements. Please do not let any of the information provided below discourage you from downloading using GTFS Builder. National RTAP staff is available to explain and assist as needed (see Support section).
Google License Agreement
GTFS powers many applications. To display your agency’s schedules at Google Maps, can your agency agree to the terms of the Google License Agreement? The agreement is provided by Google as part of the Google Transit Program. There is no fee to sign the agreement or with uploading GTFS data. However, the agreement must be digitally signed by a person in your agency with the authority to sign legal agreements. A sample agreement can be reviewed here: Sample Agreement.pdf
A practicing attorney provides a detailed explanation of the agreement in a webinar offered by National RTAP on October 27, 2020. The webinar can be accessed here: Demystifying Trip Planner Licensing Agreements Webinar
- A Personal Computer (PC) or Mac operating with Bootcamp or Parallels
- Microsoft Excel, version 2010 or more recent (macros enabled)
Skill and Time Requirements
- Beginner to intermediate level Microsoft Excel skills
- Beginner familiarity with Google’s My Maps
- Beginner familiarity with Google Earth
- Initial Data Input - Average 4 hours per route
- Maintenance: Approximately 4 hours per year, assuming minor route or stop changes
The GTFS Support Center offers targeted, how-to videos, links to Google’s Transit Partners Program and other important resources. The how-to videos will walk you through gathering and inputting your transit routes and schedule data into the GTFS Builder Excel files.
Most importantly, our technical support staff is available to answer question by phone or email and review your GTFS files.