Two-Variable Cost Allocation Calculator
Welcome to the Two-Variable Cost Allocation Calculator page. As a requirement of reporting to the National Transit Database (NTD), public transit agencies must be able to provide expense information by different travel modes, jurisdictions, and service types. Transit agencies must also understand the costs of different services for managing federal and state grants as well as pricing and planning for new services. This can be a very complicated, resource draining and time-consuming process especially for transit agencies with multiple modes, service types and serving multiple jurisdictions. The Two-Variable Cost Allocation Calculator can help transit agencies make the process of cost allocation a little less daunting.
The Two-Variable Cost Allocation Calculator, developed by Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) and RLS & Associates for National RTAP, is available in an MS Excel or MS Access application. Both versions provide the same level of specificity for data inputs and produce output reports for individual routes/services or groups of routes. We offer two versions to address your preference in software applications. You do not need Access installed to run the Access version. Please review the instruction manual for detailed step-by-step information on using the applications.
- Scalable to your system and service characteristics
- Provides allocated expenses data for NTD reporting
- Determines the fully allocated cost for providing service by travel mode, jurisdiction, service type, individual route/service, and sponsored services (if applicable)
- Generates performance measures for each route/service and groups of routes using full allocated costs and operational data
- Automatically assigns expenses to the correct transit functions
- Allows for shared ride demand responsive service costs to be suballocated to different trip sponsors
- Produces downloadable/printable reports of cost and performance measurement information
- Provides a good, sound, replicable model to allocate cost
- Eliminates duplicated or misallocated costs
- Allows for expenses to be assigned to all routes/services or specific types of services if needed
- Accompanying instruction manual with step-by-step guides, definitions of terminology, picture examples, and discussion of uses for allocated cost information
Excel Version | Webinar | PowerPoint
Access Version | Webinar | PowerPoint